Wednesday, July 7, 2010

June Swap for Group Eddy






I'm probably repeating myself, but joining this swap has been a great experience. I'm learning new stitch patterns as I'm trying to do each square in a different pattern. Also it's teaching me to finish project in the time needed. (Something I'm still working on, but I'm learning!) This square is for emayfieldz on Ravelry. As she lives in the southwest, I wanted to go with a southwest theme. I was searching through my huge stash of yarn (which will be the subject of a future blog, shudder), and came across this yarn that I had bought from Karl on Ebay. The colors are perfect! Faded tan/browns, blues, greens, rusts. The yarn is a very raw cotton, it even has little bits of the boll still in it. It's hand spun and hand dyed, and very sturdy when knit up. I used this same yarn in a different color to make a market bag and it's stood up to quite a bit of punishment by me, carrying pretty heavy loads. I looked through some my pattern books for quite a long time before I found a pattern that I thought fit the yarn. It's called Crossed Stitch and I found it in a book called 400 knitting Stitches (a very good reference!). It gives the square this really cool woven effect, which, of course, ties in with the southwest theme. Anyhow, overall I'm really pleased with the square, I just hope emayfieldz likes it, too. I'm including here some pictures of not only the square, but also the yarn and some of the other cotton yarns in the different colors. Most of the other yarns will probably be market bags. The bolls make the yarn a little rough for anything that would go against the skin, although the yarn does soften, and the bolls are removed as you wash it.

No comments:

Post a Comment